Friday, December 31, 2010

Cleansed

I'm not one for New Year's resolutions, so this year Adam and I are going to try something a little different.  The idea came to us when Adam found an article in Men's Health about a body cleanse that helps to remove toxins from your body, decrease your craving for "junk food," strengthen your immune system and just make you feel healthy.  Let me tell you, when this idea came up, I was absolutely not interested.  I was not about to spend 21 days sitting around drinking water and juice, while feeling like I had no energy to do anything else.  BUT, I found out there was more to this plan.  This cleanse includes a daily meal as well as a couple snacks, so you still have energy and are less likely to stray away from it.  A day includes:

Breakfast- Smoothie and herbal tea
Mid-morning: Snack or herbal tea
Lunch: Full, healthy meal (with restrictions of course, not just anything)
Mid-afternoon: Snack or herbal tea
Dinner: Juice or a soup

Sounds a little scary, but I think it's do-able.  I love to cook and this still allows me enough opportunity to try new things on a daily basis.  Plus, everything is made from natural ingredients, no canned or pre-packaged items, which means I'll be busy making everything from scratch.  

I'm definitely interested to see how much better this will make us feel and I hope it becomes more of a lifestyle change.  We do a pretty good job of eating healthy foods now, but I have a problem with snacking too much and Adam tends to grab junk food more than he'd like.  So, this should help us in decreasing some of those tendencies.

This new experiment begins Monday.  Until then we will be trying to eat up nearly everything in our pantry and fridge, buying a juicer, stocking up on fresh foods and making tons of coconut milk and nut milk for all the smoothies we will be drinking.  Sounds delicious huh?  

Things I'll miss:
Caffeine- Tea and Coffee
Wine
Goodies sitting around the office
Carbs- bread, chips, cereal, pasta
Dinners out 
Sushi

For more on this cleanse check out the book "Clean."

I will keep you updated on how it all goes.

Happy New Year!



1 comment:

  1. Well....good luck!! Sounds like more than I could do. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete