Wednesday, April 6, 2011

California, Washington and Oregon Wine Classes

This weekend we doubled up on wine classes, and tasted wines from Cali, Washington and Oregon.
I've decided that I'm more of a fan of New World wines than Old World.  These were my favorites yet.


This is most of the wines we tried.  There were four more that didn't make the picture.

We tried:

Cali Merlot
Sonoma Pinot Noir
Cali Red Zinfandel
Napa Cabernet Sauvignon
Left Bank Bordeaux (French Cab used to compare)
Cali Chardonnay
Oregon Pinot Gris
Italian Pinot Grigio
Oregon Pinot Noir
Washington Merlot
Washington Syrah

The Washington Syrah was my favorite, but I'm a Syrah girl and it's hard for me not to like any Syrah I try.  The Zinfandel was also great, I love the juicy, and simple flavor.  Washington is known mostly for their Merlot, and although I'm not a big Merlot fan, this one was great- far better than Cali's in my opinion.  

Our wonderful hosts had so much great food for us.  I hovered over this table a lot.
 

And this cake!  Candi just whipped this up before we all arrived.  She put Adam and I's wine night snacks to shame. 

An good movie to watch for those of you interested in the history of winemaking in California- which only began 35 years ago- you should check out "Bottle Shock."  This movie by no means deserves any awards, the acting is nothing to write home about, but it tells a great story.


No comments:

Post a Comment